Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Broken brackets.

Hey everyone!

Today I was chit chatting with a friend of mine in class and she commented on how bloggers tend to say sorry a lot for not updating their blogs. This was after I told her I had a blog. Hearing that I felt bad that I have not posted a new entry for about a month and a half. However, after talking to my friend, I made it a priority that I post a new entry today even though it's almost midnight where I am (darn you Abby!).

Where to start? What has happened in the last month and a half? For one, I came back from vacation and everything was fine. I went to my appointment and got my bottom wire changed. Everything was good for another two weeks until....a bracket fell off!!! You often hear stories about how someone was eating some kind of fruit or some form of hard substance and that caused their bracket to fall off. Well I was not even eating anything when mine fell off.

One night after flossing my teeth I decide to touch my left canine just to see how much the wires have straighten up. I decided to wiggle the bracket a little and the glue that holds the bracket to the tooth moved and I knew it became loose. This is not the worst part. I called in to my orthodontist to book an appointment to glue the bracket back and they just happened to have an opening that morning. I go in thinking this is going to be short and sweet. Well the outcome was not. After the first attempt at gluing a new bracket, it immediately fell off. Then they tried again and I thought everything was going to be fine. Unfortunately it was not because when I walked out of the door to the orthodontist office it fell off again. I was going to be late for school so I decided to just leave it at that and book another appointment next week. I actually went in today and got it glued again but it feel off again the first attempt. However, they decided to place a thinner wire on and recommended that if it were to fall off again, I should leave it until my next appointment to get it bonded.  Everything has been good so far....fingers crossed.

During this whole turmoil I was very scared that my canine would dramatically shift back into its old position. To my surprise it did move back quite a bit but not that much to be worried about. For those of you who don't remember but my canines were severely rotated. Eventually after getting a new bracket the teeth moved back to the proper position -- where it's suppose to be now. If this happens to you, be alarmed but don't be too scared of the shift. I would recommend going to see your orthodontist immediately. But for whatever reason you can't, I think you could get away for a week with a broken bracket without it shifting back dramatically.

Okay, let's move onto the progress and pictures. These are some pictures that I took about a week ago. Believe it or not but my current teeth look different from a week ago -- at least the bottom racks.

6 months 2 weeks 5 days

6 months 2 weeks 5 days

6 months 2 weeks 5 days

Sorry for the poor quality in pictures -- my camera is being lent out again. Okay, so what has happened to my teeth? For one, I officially have an underbite in my frontal region now. The braces have shifted the bottom frontal teeth upward and apart from each other. Secondly, my canines have shifted dramatically! Woot woot! The main concern I had when thinking about getting braces was whether or not these vampire fangs of mine were able to turn. I was definitely worried for nothing because they moved quickly! I can't quite say goodbye to these fangs forever just yet but I am very ecstatic that they are turning to their proper positions. I think this was the reason why the bracket keep falling off -- it couldn't take the heavy pressure from the canine.

I will post more pictures soon!

Okay, I'm off to bed now.....zzzzZZZ

No comments:

Post a Comment